In extant atharvavedic shrauta practice the uchChiShTa sUkta (AV-vulgate 11.7; AV-P 16.82) is not deployed. However, sAyaNa correctly understands its deployment in the old AV-based shrauta ritual. He cites the taittirIya brAhmaNa 1.1.9 and states that this is the uchChiShTa of the offering to the goddess aditi made of rice. In the TB its stated that the uchChiShTa was assigned to aditi; earlier in the AV (AV-vulgate 11.3) there is a long recitation of yajuSh-s and 4 embedded R^iks that is used in the celebrated ritual of the bR^ihaspati sava in offering of odana or the rice dish. In this recitation itself the uchChiShTa is mentioned (AV-vul 11.3.21) and described in terms that are expanded in this sUkta. Thus in the old atharvavedic sava it is likely that the odana recitation mainly of yajuSh-s was first deployed while the odana was taken up and offered and its uchChiShTa was then used along with the eponymous sUkta.
Recently a discussion of a word nya, probably a hapax legomenon in the AV, which is found in this sUkta came to my attention.
dR^iDho dR^iMha sthiro nyo brahma vishva-dR^isho [[AV-vul: sR^ijo] dasha |
nAbhim iva sarvatash chakram uchChiShTe devatA AhitAH [AV-vul: shritAH] ||
What does the word nya/nyas in this R^ik mean?
At this stage I am unable to fully grasp this mantra. sAyaNa tells us that it is “netAras tatratyAH prANinaH”. So he derives it from the root nI. But is it actually derived from the root nyas in the sense of deposited. This might fight in well with the other constructs like dR^imha=firm up; sthira=fix and hence nya=deposit. If so this might give some clarity about the mantra.
Search this Blog
- Beware: Long paste thread with some further comments on ethno-nationalism& the like. https://t.co/SUp0dDj1dk 16 hours ago
- shrI Sehwag is a patriotic crickter unlike entertainer from some other domains of entertainment twitter.com/virendersehwag… 16 hours ago
- Show: a line tangent to circumcircle of a triangle at 1 of its vertices makes angles = to its other angles with the… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 17 hours ago
- The lokamAnya had remarked something along the lines that one of the main problems facing the Hindu was his inabili… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 day ago
- Braided power: a brief note on the last great steppe power: the Mongol-Manchu system
- Means and conics
- The Rāmāyaṇa and a para-Rāmāyaṇa in numbers-II: Evolving early Indo-Aryan warfare
- The square root spiral and the Gamma function: entwined analogies
- Leaves from the scrapbook-2
- A note on the asterisms forming the nakṣatra-s
- Journeying through the fractal slopes of mount Meru with two-seeded recursive sequences
- Some pictures relating to incidence of tuberculosis and AIDS
- Cobwebs on the golden hyperbola and parabola
- bhujā-koṭi-karṇa-nyāyaḥ koṭijyā-nyāyaś ca
- Some personal reflections on Carl Gauss, Bernhard Riemann and associated matters
- The two squares theorem
- Constructing a regular heptagon with hyperbola and parabola
- Infinite bisections required for trisection of an angle
- Sine rugs
- Doubling the cube with ellipses
- A superficial look at national population density and some life history features
- Some biological analogies for certain sociopolitical issues
- The magic of the deva-ogdoad
- Marching onward in the American spring but where to?
- The upper story in a few pictures
- Trigonometric tangles-3: the fractals
- Euler’s squares
- Trigonometric tangles-2
- Śarabha vidhi
- A prefatory narrative
- Trigonometric tangles
- Some visions of infinity from the past and our times
- Āryabhaṭa and his sine table
- Euler and Ramanujan: primes, near integers and cakravāla